· According to the indigenous Abipone people of Paraguay, people abstaining from alcohol are cowardly, degenerate and stupid.
· The world's oldest-known recipe is for making beer.
· The United States ranks 32nd in the world in alcohol consumption. Portugal is first. The Portuguese average 2.98 gallons per person per year.
· According to Alcoholics Anonymous, whose members believe some people are born alcoholics, you can be an alcoholic without ever sipping the stuff.
· After the Revolutionary War, the first test of federal power was the Whiskey Rebellion
· One more reason to hate the Ku Klux Klan: The racist thugs strongly supported Prohibition.
· The music for "The Star Bangled Banner" originates from a British drinking song.
· Kristine A. Lurowist holds the record for the highest recorded blood-alcohol level (0.682 percent) in a person who lived to tell about it. She drank 21 shots in 1999 on her 21st birthday.
· The tab for the celebration by the drafters of the U.S. Constitution included 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, eight bottles of whiskey, 22 bottles of port, eight bottles of hard cider, 12 beers and seven bowls of punch.
Sources: Digital Collegian at Penn State University and Prof. David J. Hanson, SUNY