Just to give you a heads up, though, the local book scene looks slightly different in the Tristate after the long, hot summer months.
Crazy Ladies Bookstore over in Northside celebrated 20 years of providing fine literary material. To boot, they overhauled their whole look by removing walls, installing new shelving and moving sections around. The walls have gone from peach to a deep yellow, and a new seating area is in place.
But there's also sad news on the local bookstore front. Victory Books in Covington closed up shop, though we foresee other stores to help fill the psychic void. And the west side is finally getting with the times with a megabookstore opening out in Colerain, as Borders Books & Music expands to three locations in the Tristate.
But we know these tidbits of information aren't enough to help submerge students in all the books and research that lie ahead. We offer a list of some of the major players and specialty stores that can be of use for your courses, as straightforward or off-the-beaten path as they might be.
· Aims Foreign Language Books: Specializes in foreign language books that are educational, translated from one language into another or written in a native tongue. 7709 Hamilton Ave., Mount Healthy. 521-5590.
· Amethyst Books & Gifts: Stocks a supply of books under topics including the metaphysical, Celtic, Native American, Eastern philosphy, tarot, palmistry, numerology and angels. 11943 Montgomery Road, Montgomery. 677-0220.
· Anderson Publishing Co.: Legal publisher and seller of law books. 2035 Reading Road, Morrow. 421-4142.
· Aquarius Bookshop: This New Age shop has an eclectic selection of books including Native American literature, Asian studies, metaphysical topics, Celtic and Egyptian books. 831 Main St., Downtown. 721-5193
· Barnes & Noble Booksellers: Large bookstore with a wide assortment of books. Special features in select locations include cafe, music and software center and children's area. Hosts author signings and special events. 895 E. Kemper Road, Springdale, 671-3822; 97663 Mall Road, Florence, 647-6400; 7800 Montgomery Road, Kenwood, 3802 Paxton Ave., Hyde Park, 871-4300; and 9891 Waterston Blvd., Deerfield Twp
· Bibles & Books: Sells religious books as well as Precious Moments figurines, tapes, videos, cards and other gift items. 486 Old State Route 74, Mount Carmel. 528-3982.
· Book Exchange Inc.: Sells college textbooks. 3645 Central Pkwy., Clifton. 559-1406.
· Book Shelf Inc.: A smaller book shop that caters to the interests of its community: art, antiques, fine cooking and history. There are varied interest books, too. 7754 Camargo Road, Madeira. 271-9140.
· Bookworm: This store specializes in occult books, religious books, black history and literature, Muslim material and little a bit of everything else. 973 E. McMillan Ave., Walnut Hills. 221-5777.
· Borders Books & Music: A giant bookstore with a giant selection of books, magazines, videos and music. There's a cafe inside and the store hosts numerous book signings and events. The large magazine selection contains a good choice of foreign publications. 11711 Princeton Pike, Springfield Twp., 671-5852; 4530/432 Eastgate Blvd., Eastgate, 943-0068; and 9459 Colerain Ave., Colerain, 245-9898.
· Campus Books & Supply: Sells college textbooks and some school supplies. 46 Martha L. Collins Blvd., Cold Spring, Ky. 781-7276.
· Central School Supply Inc.: Stocks educational books and workbooks along with school, art and office supplies. Special orders are also taken and they have a catalog. 1171 Smiley Ave., Cincinnati. 851-3900.
· Crazy Ladies Bookstore: A bookstore with one of the area's largest selection of gay and lesbian studies, feminist literature and women's health texts. In addition, they have mysteries, poetry, psychology and spiritual works. 4039 Hamilton Ave., Northside. 541-4198.
· Dubois Book Store: Found near universities, they have textbooks as well as some general interest books. 321 Calhoun St., Clifton Heights, 281-4120; and 118 E. High St., Oxford, 513-523-7111.
· Duttenhofer's Books & News: A treasure trove of a used book store that contains a diverse collection of books; everything from first editions and local interest books to campy science fiction and mystery novels. Also specializes in out-of-print books. They buy, sell and trade. 214 W. McMillan St., Cincinnati. 381-1340.
· Follett Bookstore: A college bookstore with textbooks, general books and school supplies. 3520 Central Pkwy., Clifton, 961-1067; and 110 E. High St., Oxford, 513-523-4900.
· GBS Bookstore: Located near the God's Bible School campus, this store sells Christian books. 1810 Young St., Mount Auburn. 721-4021.
· Half Price Books Records Magazines: This bookstore buys back books, tapes, CDs and magazines for cash. Everything in the store is sold at half price. Also on sale are calendars, day planners and computer software. 8118 Montgomery Road, Kenwood, 891-7170; and 11389 Princeton Road, Lebanon, 772-1511.
· Joseph-Beth Booksellers: A bookstore with a wide selection of works, magazines and newspapers, a special children's section, a cafe and a recently expanded travel section. The store also hosts events, author signings and musical performances. Rookwood Pavilion, 2692 Madison Road, Norwood. 396-8960.
· New World Bookshop: In the heart of Clifton, this eclectic bookstore offers New Age works as well as current best sellers, children's books and cards. 336 Ludlow Ave., Clifton. 861-6100.
· Ohio Book Store: This bookstore boasts five levels of used books with special attention paid to Ohio-related books. They also have back issues of several popular magazines. 726 Main St., Downtown. 621-5142.
· Pink Pyramid: A borderline adult bookstore that rents videos, they also have challenging homosexual literature, art books and philosophical writings. 907 Race St., Downtown. 621-7465.
· Temple Baptist Book Store: Sells extbooks for the Temple Baptist College. 11965 Kenn Rd., Springdale. 851-6030.
· UC Bookstore: Besides college textbooks, this store also sells general interest books, books off The New York Times best-seller list and bargain books. 123 W. University Ave., Clifton. 556-1336.