Northside is looking to open a full-service grocery cooperative in the former Save-a-Lot location (4145 Apple St., Northside)
. The Apple Street Market
will be filling the food void in the neighborhood by offering fresh produce, assorted deli items, quality meats, diary and a variety of other foods.
The Cincinnati Union Cooperative Initiative (CUCI), a nonprofit that partners with organizations and individuals to create worker-owned businesses, is helping with the launch. The store itself, as a co-op, will be owned by individuals who purchase an Apple Street Market ownership share. Two groups will make up this multi-stakeholder cooperate: consumers and store workers, who can purchase individual shares. The Apple Street Market will be governed by a board of directors, selected by the stakeholders.
Member-ownership coasts $100 per share; subsidized member-ownership costs $10 per share, if you qualify for SNAP.
The benefits of becoming an Apple Street Market include selective discounts, the right to run for a seat on the board of directors, a vote in electing consumer-owner representatives and patronage refunds in profitable years.
Here is the party schedule:
- 5 p.m. Folded Patches
- 5:30 p.m. Jello-n-Spoon Race (Happen Inc. and games tent)
- 5:45 p.m. Eugenius
- 6 p.m. BMX Demo by Dominic LoPresti from SPUN
- 6:15 p.m. Food Justice Discussion (from the Village Green)
- 6:30 p.m. Beth Harris and Kristen Kreft
- 7 p.m. Dress-Your-Pet-as-Food Contest Winners (Performance tent)
- 7:15 p.m. Abiyah
- 8 p.m. Mavis Concave
- 8:30 p.m. Northside Shopping Cart Scavenger Hunt (Games tent)
- 8:45 p.m. Cabbage-Patch and the Veggie Raps
- 9:30 p.m. Shiny Old Soul Fun Stuff