The MidPoint Music Festival has announced the first performer confirmations for the 10th edition of the downtown festival happening Sept. 22-24, 2011. Artist highlights will include:
• Melbourne, Australia’s CUT COPY, featured in SPIN Magazine’s “25 Must Hear Artists at Coachella” (story here)
• Austin, Tex.-based OKKERVIL RIVER, touring in support of their new album, I Am Very Far (hear recent performance on NPR's "World Cafe Live" here)
• KAKI KING, the only woman profiled in Rolling Stone’s “The New Guitar Gods” (story here)
• GANG GANG DANCE, whose album Eye Contact was declared by Pitchfork as “Best New Music” (review here)
• THE JOY FORMIDABLE from Wales (pictured), whose music Spin calls "drenched in fuzzy bass, propelled by driving percussion ... (that) transforms ear-stabbing reverb into something pretty, airy, girly and sometimes dark" (London show review here)
• THE FELICE BROTHERS from upstate New York, touring to support their new album, Celebration, Florida (London Guardian review here)
• San Diego's THE ALBUM LEAF, turning 10 this year just like MidPoint (have a look and listen here)• THOSE DARLINS, profiled in Rolling Stone’s May issue as a “Band to Watch” (story here)
• THE LOW ANTHEM, whose album Smart Flesh received 4 out of 5 stars in Rolling Stone (review here)
• JESSICA LEA MAYFIELD, nominated by the Americana Music Association as a 2011 New/Emerging Artist of the Year (nominees here)
• Austin-Tex.-based THE BRIGHT LIGHT SOCIAL HOUR, which swept the 2011 Austin Music Awards, winning Band of the Year, Album of the Year and Song of the Year (have a look and listen here)
MPMF.11 has confirmed these performers as well: Bear Hands, Chamberlin, Conspiracy of Owls, Deerhoof, The Dodos, The Giving Tree Band, Ivan and Alyosha, Ava Luna, Mansions on the Moon, Mates of State, NewVillager, Asobi Seksu, Toro Y Moi, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, U.S.
Royalty, Vandaveer, Viva Voce, Washed Out and Xiu Xiu. The full lineup is continuously updated here.
VIP passes and three-day wristbands for MPMF.11 are now on sale. A limited number of discount three-day wristbands are available on Friday nights on Fountain Square at the MidPoint Indie Summer Series. Get all the ticketing details here.