Following are samples of the types of questions that might be used on the exam. More information about becoming a police officer is available at cincinnati-oh.gov.
1. There are rules for proper behavior at work just as there are rules of behavior at home and at social events. The foundation of proper behavior is: A. A cheerful outlook. B. Keeping personal problems at home. C. Respect for others. D. Positive attitude.
2. In dealing with the public, it is helpful to know that generally most people are willing to do that for which they: A. Cannot be held personally responsible. B. Understand the reasons. C. Will have some assistance in getting done. D. Will be able to learn something new.
3. You answer a call from a person who is complaining about rats in an alley
4. At the police academy, you receive a lower grade from your instructor than you feel you deserve. You should: A. Insist that he change your grade. B. Ask the instructor for an explanation. C. Ask for another examination so you can show that you know the material well. D. Accept the grade and forget the incident.
5. Who is qualified to judge the level of satisfaction with service provided to a citizen by a Police Officer? A. The citizen. B. The supervisor. C. The chief of police. D. The officer involved.
6. If you are assigned to write a special report, you should first: A. Collect the essential facts. B. Determine the necessary conclusions. C. Outline the method of procedure. D. Determine the topic of the report.
7. I think _________ correct in considering a new substance abuse policy. A. there B. they´re C. their
8. A PROPOSED change is one that is: A. Offered for consideration. B. Acceptable to the majority. C. Deserving attention. D. Commendable.
9. RETRACT most nearly means: A. repeat B. affirm C. withdraw D. question.
10. Teamwork is the key to success in any work environment. You should be able to give input and make suggestions, however, the supervisor makes the final decision on most matters and you should be prepared to support and carry out the supervisor´s directives with a positive attitude. A. True B. False
11. A Cincinnati Police officer patrols a 50-mile stretch, one way, of the interstate system. In one day the officer makes 2.5 round trips on his stretch. How many miles does the officer travel? A. 2,500 miles B. 2,050 miles C. 250 miles D. 205 miles E. 125 miles.
12. An arrested man´s bail was set at $3,500. He had to put up 10% of that amount in cash in order to be released. If the man had $215 in his wallet, how much did he still need? A. $35 B. $125 C. $135 D. $145.
13. People do their best work when: A. the supervisor provides instruction and lets the employee figure out how to handle circumstance. B. they are left to work on their own until they make mistakes. C. the supervisor corrects them immediately and publicly. D. they feel good about themselves and have a supervisor who provides guidance.
14. A good listener: A. feels his anger, but does not allow emotional reactions to control his behavior. B. tries to take in everything and attempts to reply to every comment of the angry person, especially exaggerations and errors. C. gives little if any response to the talker. D. plans his responses while the other person is taking, so that he will be prepared to speak.
(Source: City of Cincinnati)