• It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas ... at least if you’re looking at the upcoming club events happening over the next few weeks. This Sunday at the Blue Wisp Jazz Club you can get in the holiday mood by checking out Pat Kelly and his PyschoAcoustic Orchestra. The unique, eclectic “big band” will be doing a special holiday show featuring special arrangements of Christmas classics. Trombonists Jaime Morales and Marc Fields join the Orchestra for the 7:30 p.m. event. It’s something of a “full circle” show for the band — the group’s first recorded release was a cassette featuring “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.” (patkellymusic.com)
• The holiday spirit will be on full display at Molly Malone’s in Covington Saturday. The annual Toys For Tots benefit is being hosted by singer/songwriter Kyle English and Hard Rock band Chakras (which will do an acoustic set). Rockers noctaluca will also present an acoustic set (a rarity for the band), and the Whitney Barricklow Band and Beau Alquizola Band round out the bill
• Local graphics design company Powerhouse Factories is hosting its own holiday party Friday at 7 p.m. at its Newport headquarters (33 E. Ninth St.). Powerhouse is renowned for its concert poster art, and at Friday’s party you can find special deals on some of their posters, which include ones from national acts like The Black Keys and The Hives as well as local favorites like Buffalo Killers and Heartless Bastards. Give back to the local arts and do all of your holiday shopping Friday. Grandma would love a sweet new Method Man poster for her knitting room. (phfdesign.com)
• Stray cats and dogs are often in need of a little help. To the rescue comes the Save Our Strays organization, which has used compilation CDs and concerts as fundraisers for the past several years. On Saturday, several bands will join together to celebrate the release of the fourth “Free Lap Dances” benefit CD, featuring tracks from several local groups, including Cari Clara, Daughters & Sons, Dr. Sparkles, The Emeralds, 500 Miles to Memphis, Kelly Thomas & The Fabulous Pick-ups, The Koala Fires and many others. For Saturday’s release show at the Southgate House’s Parlour room, The Beau Alquizola Band, The Majo, Buckra and Ryan Mallott perform starting at 9 p.m.
• Crafty “Holy Hip Hop” artist K- Drama has a new album set to drop Tuesday. The positive, spiritual MC’s new BoomBaptism is being released by EMI Gospel and has already drawn a lot of attention, thanks to the bangin’ single “Air Jordan.” Drama will host a local CD release party Jan. 3 at the Solid Rock Church in Monroe. (myspace.com/kdrama)
• The Damn Thing is a new band featuring former members of The Minor Leagues and current members of the electronic project You, You’re Awesome. The newcomers make their big-league debut Friday at the Mad Hatter. Also on the bill: Lovely Crash, Black Signal, The Guild of Calamity and Intent. (myspace.com/thedamnthingcincy)
CONTACT MIKE BREEN: firstname.lastname@example.org