What should I be doing instead of this?


By · September 30th, 2008 ·

toward recording in 2004, they no longer had a label affiliation so there was little urgency to write and record.

“It didn’t take us long to write songs, it just kind of took us a while to get focused enough to record them,” Fairmount says as the band sits around the velvet-bumpered bar adorning the lounge area in their rehearsal space.

“And we’re also fairly persnickety. We’ve dropped a lot of songs. We did this record in four different sessions over the past four years. It did take a while.”

It turned out that 2004 was a good year for the Fairmounts. Bassist Randy Cheek (formerly of The Ass Ponys) and his wife Beth (also of Lovely Crash) joined the Fairmount Girls family, with Randy switching to guitar to accommo date Beth’s formidable bass abilities.

Almost simultaneously, Tigerlilies gui tarist/vocalist Pat Hennessy, who had been talking with Hamblen and Fairmount for some time about playing together, dropped by for a jam and ulti mately decided to split his time between his own band and the Fairmounts.

Hennessy’s introduction to the band came in dramatic fashion. “I saw them at The Comet and I said, ‘I’ve always wanted to play with you guys,’ ” Hennessy recalls. “Dana said to come down, but when I got there we couldn’t do anything because of the shooting.”

The day Hennessy chose to drop by the Fairmounts’ rehearsal space was August 24, 2004, the day Paul Thomas Faith entered the Colerain K-Mart and fatally shot an employee and wounded a customer. After a short police chase, the mentally unbalanced Faith wound up in front of the Fairmounts’ building.

“The police surrounded the car, and I heard ‘pop pop’ and I said, ‘It’s over, he killed himself,’ ” Fairmount says. “The Enquirer came up and took a photo from our window. That was quite a night.”

Randy Cheek injects a bit of charac teristically dark humor into the somber story: “And we were like, ‘I hope that’s not Pat.’ ” Turned away that night, Hennessy returned to jam with the Fairmounts later in the week. This time he got a more pleasant surprise.

“I pulled up and saw Randy and Beth,” Hennessey says. “I hadn’t seen Randy in years and I thought, ‘What’s he doing here?’ ” Unbeknownst to Hennessy, the Cheeks had just joined the Fairmounts.

“Jane always used to ask me to play,” Randy Cheek says. “I had to wait until

she wasn’t in the band.”. That late summer evening marked their first official practice in this quintet configuration, which has sustained for the last four years – the longest period the band has gone without a lineup change since its formation in 1996. A few weeks later, the refurbished Fairmount Girls played a set at the MidPoint Music Festival, a gig that found them still coalescing as a unit but also tantalizingly hinted at their potential going forward. It was a positive step for a band that had endured so many lineup shifts and restructuring periods that their fan base had eroded significantly.

“Melissa said, ‘What do you wanna do now?’ ” Hennessy says. “And we said, ‘Let’s keep playing.’ ” The Fairmount Girls did exactly that, returning to the local circuit with a renewed sense of purpose while leaving something important behind.

“We ditched our old songs,” Hamblen says with a laugh. “We got rid of all those and started writing anew,” Fairmount concurs.

Over the next year, The Fairmount Girls maintained a steady regional pres ence while juggling all of their outside activities — Hamblen with Culture Queer, Beth Cheek with Lovely Crash, Hennessy with the Tigerlilies, Randy

The Fairmount Yearbook: With vari ous lineups through the years, Dana Hamblen, Melissa Fairmount and their band have been a con stant bright spot in the Cincinnati music scene.

Cheek with various projects (ultimately the reformation of the Libertines) and Fairmount with The Thirteens at that point and with One Trick Pony now — and began rebuilding their audience.

They also continued to write and record whenever possible. If 2004 had been the good year, 2006 was its antithesis. Early in the year, just as Hamblen and Fairmount were prepar ing to cover South By Southwest for CityBeat by way of a road diary of their adventures, Fairmount’s longtime boyfriend, musical cohort in the Thirteens and much loved and respected denizen of the local music scene, Sam Shipman (known to one and all as Sam Nation) was tragically killed in a car acci dent. Although Hamblen and Fairmount canceled their SXSW trip, The Fairmount Girls maintained their gig schedule. For Fairmount, it was the most effective way to channel her grief.

“I think I took one day off,” she recalls. “It was the only thing I could do, even though sometimes it didn’t go so smooth. Why stop singing? It was the only thing left so sing I did. “I didn’t write for a little while, I kept my mouth shut that way, I remember. But you can only keep a loudmouth like me quiet for so long. And these guys were awesome. They were there when I was freaking out, they would push me through and help me through the day: ‘Let’s get on with it and do some Rock.’ It was cool, really great.”

Fairmount assesses 2006 with a sim ple declarative statement: “That year sucked.”

Forever your girls

After another year of gigging — and fitting in periods of writing and recording — The Fairmount Girls got serious about releasing a new album with their final sessions last fall. “The last time we went into the studio with John (Curley), we had decided this was going to be the final set, because we had 15 or 16 songs,” Fairmount says. “That’s when we decided, ‘Ding, maybe we should just do this.’ The concept did n’t come out for a while though.”

Earlier this year, the important final elements of the album came together, from the graphic look and feel of the package (low carbon footprint with an all-cardboard sleeve) to the sequence of the album’s songs to actually naming the album (which is lovingly dedicated to Sam Nation).

“We sort of went with a play on a yearbook,” says Hamblen, who managed



comments powered by Disqus {Island}